Tips for Shopping at a Farmers Market
Cash works best, small bills especially. Bank debit cards are accepted by the market in exchange for tokens to be used at vendor booths. Purchase wooden market tokens at the table next to the free coffee. Some vendors accept checks or credit cards.
- Shop early for the best selection.
- Walk through the market and visit with the vendors about what they have produced.
- Ask questions about the produce/meat/products – know your food roots.
- Get to know the vendors – they’ll teach you how to use produce that is unfamiliar and offer recipe suggestions.
- Ask about pre-orders as many vendors allow you to pre-order things like eggs, meat, or artisan items.
- Bring a cooler during the hot months.
- Bring your own grocery and produce bags, cart or basket.